Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2018 20:18:46 +0800
From:      Meowthink <meowthink@gmail.com>
To:        gljennjohn@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help diagnose my Ryzen build problem

Hi Gary,

On 8/27/18, Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:13:10 +0200
> Phil Norman <philnorm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a similar setup: Ryzen 3 and Fatal1ty X370 mini-ITX. I had some
>> trouble with instability, although my problems weren't panics, but rather
>> two issues. One was random lockups (with no evidence left in logs), but I
>> *think* this was down to an inadequately cooled graphics card.
>>

> I had instability problems with my Ryzen 5 - lockups for no
> apparent reason.  The only recourse waas a hard reset.
>
> It turned out that there were two causes
> 1) old CPU microcode
> 2) unhandled errate in the CPU
>
> I installed the /usr/ports/sysutils/devcpu-data port, which
> allowed me to install the latest microcode using cpucontrol(8).
>
> I also used a shell script called amd_errata.sh provided by one of
> the FreeBSD committers.  To my shame I can't remember exactly
> who.  Note that the errata fixups are now part of the kernel in
> FreeBSD 12.

That's kib, who has committed things in that script to both 12 [1] and
stable/11 [2].

Unfortunately, that's for Ryzens family 17h model 00h-0fh, whereas my
Ryzen 5 2400G's model is 11h.

On the microcode. It shall be updated through UEFI/BIOS updates. I
think mine is now PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.4 with microcode patchlevel
0x810100b.

Seems like ... the only thing I can do is sit down and wait?

[1] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=336763
[2] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=337235