Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:45:26 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marco_Gon=E7alves?= <marco.goncalves@aces.pt>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Power off

Marco Gonçalves wrote:

>Hi list
>
>how can i  get a 'shutdown -p now' to actually cut the power off (instead of
>'press key to reboot') ?
>
>Best regards,
>Marco Gonçalves

Does your motherboard use ACPI?  What version of FreeBSD?  What
hardware?  "shutdown -p now" does it on compatible machinery,
so is it likely that either your hardware is not supported for ACPI?

Checked "man acpi"  or "man shutdown" ?  "hardware support
required"!

Short of hacking together ACPI/APM support for your particular
motherboard, or replacing said motherboard, I'm not sure.
Generally I see this on older machines when using FreeBSD 5.X ...

That's probably the best I can do for ya, given the lack of details.
 Maybe a Real Hacker(TM) will chime in with some new info?

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.