Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 07:31:27 -0800
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Amanda backups, or dump(8) broken?

Hi,

Is anyone else here backing up -CURRENT machines using AMANDA?
I've been noticing that the backups for these machines have what
appear to be bad backups.  That is to say, amverify gives things
like this:

[...]
firepipe-3 (ganymede._.20030304.1):
amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20030304 label firepipe-3
amrestore:   1: restoring ganymede._.20030304.1

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
amrestore:   2: reached end of information
cannot open /dev/tty: Device not configured
Tape is not a dump tape
64+0 in
64+0 out
firepipe-3 (oberon._usr.20030304.2):
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: restoring oberon._usr.20030304.2

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
amrestore:   1: reached end of information
cannot open /dev/tty: Device not configured
Tape is not a dump tape
64+0 in
64+0 out
[...]

ganymede:
FreeBSD ganymede.firepipe.net 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #2: Sun Mar  2 22:01:40 EST 2003 will@ganymede.firepipe.net:/net/ganymede/src/sys/i386/compile/GANYMEDE i386
oberon:
FreeBSD oberon.firepipe.net 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Jan 14 01:19:15 EST 2003 will@oberon.firepipe.net:/usr/src/sys/sparc64/compile/OBERON sparc64

Ganymede runs Amanda 2.4.3 while oberon is running Amanda 2.4.4b1
due to 64-bit safeness fixes in that version.

Note that I also back up three other machines (two 4.x/i386
and one Linux/mipsel) without a peep from amverify.

Anyone know if maybe the dump format has been changed to the
extent that it breaks Amanda or something?  In fact, based on the
"64+0" it appears that the header or something similar may have
been broken.

Or maybe Amanda is broken.  I'm just looking for someone else who
has already seen this behavior.  Preferably someone else that
knows what the issue is and how it might be fixed...

Regards,
--
wca