Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:58:43 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: System hanging during dump

--IU5/I01NYhRvwH70

On 2008-Oct-15 01:35:38 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:24:28PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> Last night, I attempted a full, compressed backup of my 181GB /home
>> (on a PATA disk) to a remote system.  The backup started at 2159 and
>> everything appeared normal until about 0040 when the system became
>> non-responsive and this lasted until the dump completed at 1033.  This
>> is the first full backup of /home I've made for several years (due to
>> lack of space).
=2E..
>It's a known problem documented in my Wiki -- see "dump/restore".  Note
>the part about UFS2 snapshot generation.  I'm almost certain this is
>what you're describing.

No, my problem is not mentioned in your Wiki.  You mention:
* dump process frequently hangs
  In my case, the dump was progressing normally.  The _rest_ of the
  system was hung.

* UFS2 snapshot generation (mksnap_ffs, dump -L) takes too long; system is =
unusable during this time
  In my case, snapshot creation took ~4 minutes.  The system was
  running normally for 2.6 hours after snapshot creation completed
  before it froze.

* Filesystems not cleanly shut down if reboot performed while dump(8) still=
 running
  Not applicable.

--=20
Peter Jeremy