Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:53:21 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@despammed.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   40 and 80 pin cable and UDMA errors

Howdy,
Just thought I'd pass this along.  On two boxes, I was getting upon bootup,
various UDMA error messages, and eventually it would say that it couldn't
read it, and was dropping down to PIO.

So a search on deja indicated that this is a fairly common problem.  In
some cases, it means the hard drive is dying, but often, the suggestion was
simply to use a better quality IDE cable.  I also noticed, in one machine's
BIOS, that it wouldn't support some UDMA modes unless it detected a
shielded, 80 pin cable.

A quick search on pricewatch found me some cheap cable for 3 bucks a
pop.  Replacing the 40 pin in both machines with it, (and this is only ATA
33/66 cable--only after placing the order did I think, sheesh, I should
have spent another few dollars and gotten the 100), my UDMA errors have
gone away.

As I said, judging from deja, it seems to be a very common problem, with
people often suggesting that the problem is the hard drive.  So, I figured
I'd post this to let people know that it can often be resolved by simply
putting in better quality IDE cable, that doesn't have to be
expensive.  There were enough hits on deja so that I think Ms. Anderson
should put it in her book's next edition.   :)

Hope this helps someone,
Scott Robbins