Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 21:31:55 +0100
From:      Tony Byrne <tony@nua.ie>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   DEC 21143 based NIC

I've recently laid hands on a DEC Alpha 433a personal workstation, onto
which I am now trying to install FreeBSD.  So far I've managed to
install from CD-ROM, but I'm experiencing problems with the integrated
NIC (a 61143 based nic).

Up until yesterday it worked on the network, but with awful throughput.
Today the NIC won't come up.  My hubs indicate that a link is up,
FreeBSD detects the NIC but it seems dead to the world and the kernel
complains of there being no link.

What's worrying me is that the card seems to have died under NT too :(

Cables etc. seem fine.

Has anyone any experience of this behaviour?  Is it normal or is my NIC
blown?

Regards,

Tony.