Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:01:22 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Amooooo@aol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Unix user

> HI all as you probley can tell from my question Im a new FreeBSD user and
> have a quick question.  Which I have install FreeBSD and X and want to run X
> but at login after typing root I get the following msg (Terminal type?
> [cons25]) which does not accpect the startx command.  Can any one tell me how
> I run X .

More haste, less speed! 8-)

The system is asking you which kind of console you want to use in
*terminal* mode (it does this because there are some people who don't
like X or whose systems aren't powerful enough to run it). Just press
the return key here and then it'll give you a command prompt at which
you can then give commands.

It'll then tell you off for logging in as root - usually you should
log in, and do your work as, a "normal" user and use the 'su' command
for the occasions when you have to do something that a normal user
can't (or in X, keep an xterm open in which you have root privileges).

If you find all this a bit annoying, you can run 'xdm' from
/etc/rc.local, which will start the system up straight into X - but
I'd recommend making sure you've got X set up properly first 8-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk