Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 11:49:28 +0100
From:      "Dirk-Willem van Gulik (vaio)" <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Irratic Curve

Whilst playing with a small, but fast, berkely DB based transaction
server; which sits on a tcp/ip socket connection I ran into sometimes
unpredictable reply times. One of the major problem was solved by
increasing the MSIZE to 256 (the 103 bytes+ delayed ack problem).

Now recently I came across:

http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/Gigabit/performance/prelim.html

Now could any one explain to me WHY freebsd appears so unpredicatable ?
i.e. not a nice S-curve ? Is that the way of measuring ? Some other
artifact, or real ? I think it is real, as I get the same sort of
holes in my graphs for the transaction server.

Any chances on an expose....

Dw