Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:23:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3 boot loader configuration file/docs?

I've been playing around with FreeBSD a little, but have been waiting
the arrival of a new SCSI disk which I wanted to share with linux and
FreeBSD for doing a proper install.  I'm currently using FreeBSD 3.3.

After doing a "successful installation", leaving a small ext2fs "/boot"
partition for linux, I find the "boot loader", although offering 2 options
of F1 linux, F2 FreeBSD doesn't boot either system (linux won't work, I've
just allocated space for installing later).

The Partition Editor has setup the space as follows:

da0s1 34784 blocks, ext2fs will be used for /boot for linux
da0s2 is the FreeBSD slice with 2GB and has Freebsd correctly installed.
the rest is unused.

I've rebuilt the kernel for the SMP machine I'm using and to use the
AHA2940 SCSI driver, da0

I can boot into the system from the FreeBSD boot disk, telling it to boot
0:da(0,a)kernel.

What file/command should I be looking at to check the configuration
options of the FreeBSD boot loader to see why it doesn't correctly boot
from the SCSI disk?  (Note this machine currently has no IDE disks, and no
other SCSI disks.)

Sorry for the newbie question, I don't feel like a newbie in linux, but in
FreeBSD I'm still learning the ropes.

Regards,

Simon
--