Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:12:13 -0600
From:      "Stephen Hilton" <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Christopher Farley" <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Subject:   Re: samba: "force group" problem?

On Thursday, November 29, 2001 3:59 PM Christopher Farley said:

> I'm running an old version of Samba (2.0.7), and can not seem to make
> 'force group' work. I've got a group called 'samba', but all new files
> are created owned by group 'wheel'. A level 10 debug log seems to
> indicate that it is changing the GID to 'samba', but it doesn't ever
really
> happen.
>
> I've seen at least two other people describe this exact problem when
> running Samba under FreeBSD, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is a
> bug.

I just created a new user named "newgroup", unix group "newgroup"
using Samba 2.2.1a from ports, and added a new Samba share with
these parameters:

[packages]
        path = /var/packages
        read only = No
        guest ok = No
        create mask = 700
        directory mask = 700
        force user = newgroup
        force group = newgroup

Created several sub dirs and test files, all wound up correctly
owned and correct permissions.

bsdbox1# pwd
/var/packages/NewFolder/NewFolder2

bsdbox1# ls -la