Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:32:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        Steve Mickeler <steve@neptune.on.ca>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: comconsole

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Steve Mickeler wrote:
>
> > I have been searching the web and testing hi and low, but have yet to see
> > a straight answer about getting COMCONSOLE working under 3.2 Stable.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on this ?
> >

> COMCONSOLE has been depricated...see sio(4) flags.  In addition,
> /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/README.serial has further tips on serial consoles.

	Only you should note that rebuilding the boot blocks there won't
change anything for you, the new place to do that is /sys/boot.

	Also, what kind of com console are you interested in having? There
are two different things, one is getting a login prompt on the com console
that allows you to log in directly to the machine as if it were a real
monitor and keyboard console. The other is directing the boot messages to
the serial console. Assuming that you have the proper cabling, the first
is easy to set up, just follow the instructions in the handbook.

	Once you get the login prompt set up, redirecting the boot
messages should be easy. First, the COMCONSOLE kernel option is now
deprecated, see the sio options in LINT for more details. Also, you should
read the info in the /boot directory, and read the man pages for loader
and boot. At this point the easiest way to use the -P option is to put
'boot -P' as the last line of your /boot/loader.rc file.

Good luck,

Doug

--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter