Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:27:41 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
Cc:        apsfilter-devel@apsfilter.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating gs55 port, or creating a new one ?

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

Hi Eric,

good news. BTW, our main apsfilter developer has sent me a patch
yesterday for apsfilter-current. I think he already did the necessary
modifications for apsfilter.

He told me that the HP driver should be available in ghostscript 7.
So the next logical step for me would be to upgrade the ghostscript
6 port to ghostscript 7.

Another idea would be, to repository copy the ghostscript 6
port to simply ghostscript. I personally don't like to have
multiple gs version floating around.

Maybe someone from the ports channel could comment on this.
I personally didn't go too deep into license issues, since
I use it personally at home, which is possible.

Concerning the driver support
a) let us check, if gs7 already contains the hpijs drivers
b) wrote a Cc: to the apsfitler-hackers Mailinglist, so
   that Michael Lossin can read this as well.
c) lets check how to update the gs7 port.

I'm shortly before holidays and have not much time, since
work eats up my time and additionally my old system crashed
and I'm pretty busy with merging things and creating a new
backup strategy ...

Could you prepare an upgrade to gs7 ?
I'd like to have also driver support for the other drivers
just for the case that somebody needs still hpdj/PCL3/HPDK8XX
support.

Best regards

	Andreas ///

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 01:46:20AM +0200, Eric Jacoboni wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I was a frustated HP DJ890C user since, even with recent third parties
> drivers (gnome-print and the like), the color printing quality was
> very poor compared to Windows.
>=20
> Fortunately, HP seems to suddenly realizes that its printers are not
> devoted to Windows user and has released sources for its inkjet
> printers (both as RH/Linux binaries and as pristine sources).
>=20
> Starting from you port and from the hpijs sources, i've succeeded to
> create and install a gs binary which includes theses new drivers. The
> result is, wow, like under Windows.
>=20
> As i'm suppose i'm not the only FreeBSD user with HP DJ printer, i
> think it will be a great thing to share this enhancement. I've never
> created port (the binary i get is the result of tweaking your port and
> adding some lines from the hpijs distro) and i wonder if such a thing
> needs a separate port (ghostscript+hpijs, for instance) or if we can
> adapt the existing port (with a HPIJS define, for instance).
>=20
> I think the latter solution would be better, as forking ports is not a
> good thing, imho.=20
>=20
> Waiting for your answer, i'm, of course, ready to help you to test or
> write the relevant part (as far as my limited knowledge of ports
> mecanisms will permit such a work).
>=20
>         Best regards,
> --=20
> =C9ric Jacoboni, n=E9 il y a 1290655591 secondes.

	Andreas ///

--=20
Andreas Klemm                                           Powered by FreeBSD =
SMP
Songs from our band >>64Bits<<............http://www.apsfilter.org/64bits.h=
tml
My homepage................................ http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~andr=