Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:23:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netkill - generic remote DoS attack (fwd)

<<On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 18:02:18 -0400, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM> said:

> Perhaps if you're concerned that random people are attacking your system
> by using the way TCP functions, you should instead use IPSEC to authenticate
> the remote party before allowing the connection to open?

Not helpful.  The reason why these DoS attacks are so successful is
that it's the server-operator's business to offer service to all
comers.  To restrict access (particularly to the tiny subset of the
population which would be authenticable using IPSEC) would defeat the
entire purpose of the server.

Unfortunately, this particular DoS is inherent in the TCP design.
There are a whole bunch of others that are not as widely known, which
have (relatively) easier solutions.

-GAWollman