Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:20:29 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        shubhamr <shubhamr@malkauns.nsc.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost in BSD!

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 07:31:21PM +0530, shubhamr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed FreeBSD5.0.
> I wanted to know if it is backward compatible with 4.4BSD. I am writing
> a network driver based on 4.4 Networking architecture.I wanted to know
> if I can run the same driver on BSD5.0 version?
>
> Please help urgently.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Regards
> shubha

I guess the answer is 'yes and no'.  FreeBSD is indeed derived from 4.4BSD,
but has accumulated quite a few changes over the years :-)  That said, you
should be able to port your driver without too much pain -- I'd suggest
looking at the code for some of the existing FreeBSD drivers to see where
the major differences are.

HTH,

	Scott