Date:      Mon, 03 May 2004 14:02:20 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Oxid <oxid_o@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help: /var: create/symlink failed, no inodes free

Oxid wrote:
> HI!
>
> -> /var: create/symlink failed, no inodes free
>
> Could anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it? :)

inodes are needed for directory entries.  Running out of inodes means
you've run out of space for directory entries, and thus can't create
any new files.

"df -hi" will tell you how many inodes are available on your
filesystems.

Short-term, the solution is to delete some files off your /var
partition.  Long term, you may need to reformat /var with more inodes
than the default, if this is a chronic problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies