Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 00:20:17 -0500
From:      Bryan Cassidy <b_cassidy@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenBSD/ (maybe FreeBSD) Firewall/Router/DNS

Hello. I am currently running FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE p-7. I am pretty comforta=
ble with FreeBSD for the most part and really enjoy using it on a day to da=
y basis. This is my thoughts. I have an older NEC PC that I would like to p=
ut to some use. First off I don't know if I need any 'extra' hardware. I ha=
ve now 1 DSL modem (dhcp - could get static, is it worth getting?), 3 NICs,=
 and 2 cables to connect the ethernet cards. I have just been reading up on=
 Firewalls on FreeBSD using ipfw. I would basically like to do the followin=
g. I want to install OpenBSD 3.5 or Possibly one of the FreeBSD 4.x, 5.x, 4=
-stable, current or whatever. Which would you all recommend using in this s=
ituation? I want to continue to use my nice newer, much faster computer to =
do all configurations to the system, updates, installing software, running =
apache, configuring firewall, etc. etc. etc. via ssh (good choice?) to the =
other/older box. Would really appreciate some insight on this topic. Networ=
king/Security is becoming very interesting to my. Thanks. Don't forget, do =
I need any 'extra' hardware?