Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:03:03 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: call for testers: port aggregation netgraph module

In the last episode (Feb 08), Chris Dillon said:
> > The channel bonding is done using the Cisco fast etherchannel
> > mechanism. The default hashing mechanism uses the MAC address,
> > however you can select IP address hashing as well. IPv4 and IPv6
> > address *should* work, though I must admit I've been using IPv4
> > until now. If someone actually has a Cisco switch that implements
> > fast ethetchannel, I'd be interested to know if it works with this
> > module. At the moment, my test environment consist of two machines
> > with multiport ethernet cards wired up using four crossover cables.
>
> Apparently there is another way to do channel bonding with switches
> that don't support Cisco's EtherChannel, since I'm doing it with
> 3COM's (piece of *hit) SuperStackII switches and I don't have
> EtherChannel support enabled in Compaq's NT drivers for their Intel
> NICs.

I've just finished scouring Cisco's documentation, and it doesn't look
like FEC is anything beyond plain old trunking (with the option of
autoconfiguration on some hardware).  As long as you configure the
appropriate ports on the switch on the other end as "SA-Trunk", or
"Trunk", you should be okay.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com