Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 11:06:22 -0500
From:      Dave Blizzard <blizzard@canoe.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD destroys hardware?

After installing FreeBSD successfully on several pentiums I thought
I'd give my 386 at home a try.
I installed a new SCSI 1gb hard drive and attempted to install BSD on
the SCSI drive while leaving my 400mb IDE drive untouched.
The operation went great but the patient died
Installation went smoothly but I chose to have the boot mgr installed
and the result was an unbootable dos drive. After doing the same with
another IDE drive and controller the only conclusion is that the
boormanager destroys controllers. It's either that or the bootmgr
modifies hidden registers in the controller that can't be reset.

I have low level formated the drives, repartitioned, attempted fdisk
/mbr which is undocumented and apparently does nothing, used Nortones
rescue to reload the boot partition and got nowhere.

The symptom is that after a BSD install, even to another (scsi) drive,
the ide controller I usually boot from cannot fdisk anything anymore,
even though the drive seems ok and can be low level formatted.

Help!

If I buy yet another controller, what is a workable configuration in
this case? Should I put root and swap on the ide boot drive? and then
let /var take up the SCSI.
How can software destroy hardware?

Please send any responses to blizzard@canoe.ca
Dave Blizzard, Corporate Dir of IS
VE3SVL The Toronto Sun Publishing Corporation
blizzard@canoe.ca