Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:12:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

Hellmuth Michaelis writes:
> Hmm, i'd like to ask a different set of questions:
>
> 1) What is the most widely used ISDN protocol stack in the US ?

NI-1 (stands for "National ISDN-1" standard), which attempts
to standardize ISDN in the U.S. This covers (I'm guessing)
probably about 70-90% of the switches out there (and slowly
increasing).

Legacy variants include proprietary Nortel DMS-100, AT&T 5ESS,
AT&T 5ESS Custom, and Siemens.

> 2) What are the the Part-, Order- or Standard numbers for the
>    description of the D-channel layer one, two and three for the
>    protocol answered by (1) and where can i get a copy of them
>    (without paying $$$) ?

Bellcore publishes the NI-1 spec.. I don't have the reference
off hand. Layer 2 should be almost exactly the same as ETSI.
Layer 3 is of course different.

I will try to get a list of the relevant specs.

> In case this is an external TA connected to your machine with a serial
> cable, this does not help much - anyway, thanks for the offer! What
> is needed is a FreeBSD machine with a passive card using the standard
> Siemens chipset connected to an ISDN S0 bus or U ref point. Currently
> i have no idea, whether in the US the S0 bus or U ref point is the
> preferred connection (last time i was in the US i looked at Fry's and
> found only U connected US-made cards). I know that some of the same
> cards i4b currently supports are sold in the US with an U-interface,
> _that_ would be an ideal starting point.

The phone company only provides up to a U-interface. Also, almost
no consumers actually use ISDN telephones. Combine those two things,
and the result is that most ISDN lines are only used as a dedicated
data connection, and hence most store bought ISDN networking equipment
has a U interface. Not many people buy NT1 equipment.

On the other hand, from Layer 3 point of view it shouldn't make
any difference whether its S or U interface.

> If there were a good hardware setup, docs available, a reasonable
> chance to get it run and a (good [i'm getting old ;-)]) place to sleep,
> i'd even come over for a week or two and implement it .....
>
> > * The two references which seemed to have the most content were Bellcore's
> > site at http://www.bellcore.com/ISDN/ and the North American ISDN Users'
> > Forum at http://www.niuf.nist.gov/misc/niuf.html
>
> I've scanned them, i even have downloaded a couple of ISDN standards from
> US ISDN sites, but either question 1 and/or 2 were not answered by reading
> them.

I'll try to find out the definitive list of standards you need.

On another topic.. we've released a beta of the netgraph code:

  ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/misc/netgraph.tgz

This code would be perfect for use with ISDN... In fact, we've
already implemented it, but are using 3rd party ISDN code that
we can't publish.

However, we can show you what the ISDN node API looks like. If you
implemented the same thing, then mpd (ie, our PPP daemon which is
already public) would suddenly start working over your ISDN code
as it does ours.

We also have a fun little program to make analog calls from the
command line and have the output go to the speaker, etc..

-Archie