Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 01:07:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Heads up, a bit:  ephemeral port range changes

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> What I don't see is why this must be made to -stable at all.
> What would be the consequences if we simply left RELENG_4
> with the same port-range that it's always had?  Note that
> this is not a complaint on my part, it is only a request for
> more information.

The ephemeral port range determines the maximum number of simultaneous
outbound connections that you can have.  As pointed out in a PR (I don't
recall the # offhand), our low limit was probably the reason that FreeBSD
ran out of steam before the other OSes in the sysadmin benchmark last
year.

Normally I wouldn't change settings to tune for a benchmark, but there is
no functional downside to this change.  As Jacques points out, many
sysadmins with busy servers _already_ make this change, as have a few
other OSes.

> Chances are pretty good that they would not notice any such
> problems until after they have done the "installworld" step,
> and thus it is not necessarily a simple matter to "just go
> back" to their previous kernel.

Sure it is.  After an installkernel you always have kernel.old sitting
around.

This isn't a big deal, guys.  Go find something better to make a fuss
about.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack