Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2011 07:50:28 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tplink TL-WR1043ND access point is now ready (was Re: svn commit: r227926 - head/sys/mips/conf)

On 26 November 2011 07:01, Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de> wrote:

> Got it up and running, this is very nice. A couple comments and questions=
:

> I managed to write the firmware image from OpenWrt's sys upgrade, so the =
format seems to be sane. =A0I *think* the TP-Link web interface should acce=
pt this image as well, but I haven't tested that.

Yup, if you use -s on the script (build_tplink) then it should do that. :)

> People wanting to try this: as this moment, you do need the serial consol=
e, since the image will not allow you to log in over the network and become=
 root (AFAICT). =A0If the cofnig that goes into the image is improved, I'm =
confident you can run this without console access.

Patches are gratefully accepted for a default configuration. Actually,
I thought I had one. :)

# Create a bridge, flip on an IPv4 static address
netif_bridge0_type=3D"bridge"
netif_bridge0_addrtype=3D"static"
netif_bridge0_descr=3D"default"
netif_bridge0_name=3D"bridge0"
# These are bridge members w/ STP enabled
netif_bridge0_members_stp=3D"arge0"
# These are bridge members w/ STP disabled
netif_bridge0_members=3D""
netif_bridge0_ipv4_address=3D"192.168.1.20"
netif_bridge0_ipv4_netmask=3D"255.255.255.0"

.. and no root/user password. Just telnet in as 'user' first, then su to ro=
ot.

So try that?

> Wifi speed seems to be decent, from an old MacBook I have lying around, I=
 managed about 38 MB/s to and from my server using ssh and dd.

The -HEAD lock and invariant debugging is enabled by default in the
kernel config. You should get higher throughput if those are disabled.

> Is there a read-write filesystem for the flash, or are we limited to an a=
rchive in the cfg flash partition?

No r/w flash filesystem yet. :) Sorry! Someone else needs to do this,
I've got my hands full!

> Is the root MFS copied to RAM, or is it read on demand?

It's read on demand - it's actually stored on flash as a uzip
partition, so it's decompressed on the fly.

> I see that you went to some lengths creating your own config framework. =
=A0Why did you choose to not use the standard?

This is just my development stuff, it's not designed to be a public
openwrt-style project. It thus is to enable me to do my hackery. :)

> I haven't looked at nanobsd in ages, and I did see in the last status rep=
ort that there is another attempt at creating an OpenWrt-like setup. =A0I'm=
 currently running about six or seven OpenWrt routers (mostly at the extend=
ed family), and I'm interested in eventually replacing OpenWrt with FreeBSD=
. =A0Any guesses where a trimmed-down but fully functional (incl. ports) di=
stribution might emerge?

Hah. Someone will have to make ports cross-compile. Again, I'd love it
if someone stepped up to doing that. :)

I'm doing as much as I can to "dangle the carrot" so to speak.
Hopefully this will attract some more interest in freebsd-embedded as
well as the openwrt-style project called "zrouter".

zrouter.org is really meant to be the openwrt-style project. My stuff
is purely to get (my) development happening. Alex and the others at
zrouter.org can then pick up the work and package it. ;)

> Thanks for all your work, if you ever happen to come over to Hamburg, I'l=
l have a beer waiting :-)

You're welcome!

Adrian