Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2003 00:25:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        sewall@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help running 'make release' w/ r/o CVSROOT

On 18 Sep, Scott R. Sewall wrote:

> I'm trying to run 'make release' with my CVSROOT NFS mounted read-only.
>
> I'm running 4.9-PRERELEASE, cvsup'd from last Sunday 9/14.
>
> Is this possible do to?

Yes it is.  I've done a number of release builds on my -stable box and
CVSROOT/val-tags hasn't been touched in ages even though my locally
mounted /home/ncvs is mounted read-write.  I also did a -current 'make
release' on another box that has the /home/ncvs NFS mounted.  I think it
might be mounted read-write, but root gets turned into nobody who does't
have write access.  I know that is true because 'cvs update' without the
-R option barfs because it lacks write permission.

> The error message is:
>
> makewhatis /usr/release/usr/share/perl/man
> if [ -f /etc/resolv.conf ]; then  cp -p /etc/resolv.conf
> /usr/release/etc;  fi
> cd /usr/release/usr && rm -rf src &&  cvs -R -d /home/ncvs co  -P -r
> RELENG_4 src
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags:
> Permission denied
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/release.

Interesting ...  'cvs -R' shouldn't be trying to write anything in
/home/ncvs.  Also, if /home/ncvs is actually mounted read-only, it looks
to me like write attempts should return an EROFS error instead of EPERM.