Date:      Thu, 1 Dec 2011 09:56:43 -0800
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "headed" virtualbox + vnc

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 07:02:24PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 01/12/2011 18:17 Warren Block said the following:
> > On Thu, 1 Dec 2011, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> >> Is it possible to start a guess VM with GUI and also be able to access it via VNC?
> >> All google hits for freebsd+virtualbox+vnc are about VBoxHeadless.
> >
> > net/x11vnc installed in the guest should work.
>
> Of course that's not what I meant/wanted.

It's about as close as you can get, I think.

If I understand aright, "standard" VNC uses its own display, which
means that it can't somehow "attach" to an existing X display.

I've never used it, but according to its description, x11vnc -does-
allow you to connect to a running X display:

	"x11vnc differs from traditional UNIX VNC servers in that
	it is accessing a real X displays that may already be in
	progress rather than creating its own X server for clients
	to connect to."

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL