Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:54:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Mark Peek <mark@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: Cross builds and upgrade path from 4.x are broken in usr.bin

On 10-Aug-01 Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 10:04:01AM -0700, Mark Peek wrote:
>> At 7:14 PM +0300 8/10/01, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>> >On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:38:21AM -0700, Mark Peek wrote:
>> >  > At 5:37 PM +0300 8/10/01, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>> >  > I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cross-platform"
>> >>
>> >I meant the latter here.
>>
>> Has this ever worked?
>> Is it really a goal of the project to have it work?
>>
> Yes.  Imagine that you are rolling an Alpha release on an i386 box.

You don't do that.  Cross releases need much more work before that is
feasible.  As Mark mentions, there are many thigns that would need to be
fixed.  Also, the release process would be hacked, and you still wouldn't
have a true "clean room" release since you can't build a "clean room" to run
a fresh world in.

>> Your solution does not work. You're creating binary files in HOST
>> format during the build phase and expecting things such as alignment
>> and endianness to be the same as the TARGET format. Unless the tools
>> are built to output for either the appropriate architecture or in a
>> portable, binary format, you will have problems reading the file on
>> the TARGET platform. It probably works for you since you're doing a
>> 4.X->5.0 upgrade on the same platform.
>>
> What?  ``file -C'' produces different output on Alpha and on i386?
> Are you sure?  (Haven't checked myself.)

sparc64 is big endian.