Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:48:24 +0200
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, danny@cs.huji.ac.il
Subject:   Re: irq

> In message <E16Dk3D-000AIb-00@pampa.cs.huji.ac.il> Danny Braniss writes:
> : Q: are all interrupt handlers for the shared irq called, or only the
> :    'correct' one?
>
> You can't tell which card really interrupted.  All of them are called.
>
> Warner

let me see if i can summarise:
	1- irq are shared by definition.
	2- all drivers at/in the same irq are called.
	3- it's the driver's responsability to do the 'right thing' or in
	   simpler terms, not to screw things up.

I fixed the meteor, so that on interrupt checks if there is anything to do, and
if not just returns, btw, on interrups time very little is done.

my testing was done so:
  host A ran an X application that does the video grabbing.
	- with local display, all ok.
	- with display on host B, via fast ethernet,
		the adaptec complained.
		the meteor complained.
	after some card shuffling:
		the adaptec is ok.
		the meteor hardly complains - IMHO it should not, but it's
		very low count < .01%.
btw, host A is Pentium III/450MHz. Dell GX1, with 128M memory.

ah, and thanks to all for explaining the darker sides of irq.

danny