Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:07:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kim Scarborough <sluggo@unknown.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpd setup won't work

All right, I'm confused. I'm trying to set up a printer under 3.2. Here's
my /etc/printcap:

lp:\
:sh:sd=/usr/spool/lpd:lp=/dev/lpt0:if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs

I started lpd, and got this:

bash-2.03# lptest 20 5 | lpr
lpr: lp: unknown printer

So what did I do wrong? If I do "lptest>/dev/lpt0" it prints some stuff.
lpd-errs is silent. I tried "lpc start all" but that didn't help.
/usr/local/libexec/if-simple is there. /usr/spool/lpd is there and is
writable by daemon user and group. I'm still using the GENERIC kernel.

Kim Scarborough http://www.unknown.nu/kim/