Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:55:55 +1200
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        "Graywane" <graywane@home.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA gone?

:: I have an old CDROM that barfs if you have DMA or PIO enabled.
:: Both FreeBSD
:: and OpenBSD on two different motherboards reboot if you access the drive
:: while PIO or DMA is enabled. In OpenBSD I can set the "flags"
:: option in the
:: kernel config file to disable PIO and DMA on the drive and then the drive
:: works fine. In FreeBSD I can't seem to find an option to do the
:: same thing.
:: Anyone have any ideas.

What is it using if you disable both PIO and DMA?

It sounds like you have the wrong PIO mode enabled (if it's older drive,
it'll likely only support PIO modes 0, 1 and 2).

-- Juha