Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 05:55:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs)
Cc:        stefan@promo.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-PnP w\o BIOS support?

> I agree with Stefan's sentiment. It seems like this should be
> the paradigm:
>     device   foo0 port 0x220 irq 7 vector foointr

i notice you did not put the "at isa?" specification -- is this
deliberate or not ? because in this case one could differentiate
between legacy isa and PnP stuff.

In any case there are two major problems in my view:
1) to do automatic resource assignment you'd need to know which
   resources are available. Maybe the bios knows (more or less, since
   legacy isa devices with no driver cannot be easily detected, and the
   PnP detection of conflicts i am not sure how well it works),
   but i have no idea on how to fetch this info

2) providing a configuration in the kernel config file via "device..."
   entry is hard, since a single pnp device can have 8 io ports, 2 drq, 2
   irq, 4 memory addresses ... how do you fit this info in the few bits
   available on the "device" line ?

	luigi