Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:00:56 -0400
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Eric Crist <mnslinky@gmail.com>, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>, Christopher Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Greylisting -- Was: Anti Spam

On Apr 28, 2007, at 5:25 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

What?  What do you mean, a failure that causes a problem which
results in paging once every 3 months?

If your mail server tries to contact another mail server and it can't
reach it, you're saying your mail server doesn't retry for an hour?

Even if it does take an hour, the fact that it retried the server on
the other side doing the greylisting means it would be whitelisted
after a couple mails.  If you're doing something SO critical that
three or four mails delayed an hour, until you're establishes as a
legit user, means life or death, you definitely should be doing
something that backs up how you communicate with other sites, or
you're not such a big fish that the other sites have already added
you manually to their whitelists like AOL or Amazon mail servers
would most likely be already, or other local ISPs that are known
legit and I just don't feel like waiting for the system to add them
automatically.