Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 13:39:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org
Subject:   Re: SIGCLD

> By explicitly setting the signal handler to SIG_IGN, you tell the system
> that you aren't interested in the death of your child, and you won't
> get zombies.
>
> This of course is a terrible crock, but was the only way to express
> this in SVR3.  SVR4 and Posix use the option SA_NOCLDWAIT in
> sigaction(2) to express this wish.  FreeBSD doesn't implement this
> option (yet).

Are you sure about this?  The only POSIX defined SA_ flag I know about
is SA_NOCLDSTOP, which prevents SIGCHLD when child processes are stopped,
but still generates it for child process death.

While we are on the subject, SA_NODEFER is kind of wierd, and BSDI
compatability is impossible with SA_DISABLE being 0x0004 on BSDI
(which disables the taking of signals on an alternate stack).  I
understand the need for SA_RESETHAND; it lets you use the general
underlying "POSIX + flag extensions" signal implementation to get
backward compatability with SVR3/SVR2, etc..  But shouldn't any
FreeBSD-only flags really be higher in the flag space, like the
SA_USERTRAMP?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---