Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:49:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      <timothyr@socrates.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help Me Save My Laptop Files!e Save My Laptop Files!

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a real bind here and hope someone can help me find my way out of
it.  I have a Dell Latitude CS laptop, on which I run WinNT and
4.0-RELEASE.  I went to upgrade some of the NT power management features,
and my system was totally hosed.  I went to boot back up, got BSOD, went
to boot up again, didn't even get that far: "missing kernel DLL."  To make
a long story short, my partition table seems to be fscked up in every
sense of the word, and I can't boot and I can't install anything.  I can
boot of a DOS floppy and see my precious D: drive where all my data is,
however.  I'm going to have to wipe the drive top to bottom and reinstall
everything from scratch, but before I do I'd really love to get the ~1GB
of data I have backed up.  Is there some way I can mount the FAT16 D:
drive and get a network connection up to copy everything (I have a
Megahertz PCMCIA 10BT NIC), all without writing anything to the hard disk?
I have the 4.0 RELEASE CDROMs and the 9/99 FreeBSD toolkit.  One other
catch in this whole thing is that both the CD-ROM and Floppy drives are
external, and I can only plug one in at a time.  Any suggestions at all
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tim
timothyr@socrates.berkeley.edu