Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:28:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Thomas Runge" <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Breakthrough: MPEG-2 hardware for FreeBSD ...

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> I just browsed through the source code, and it looks as if Linux
> has some videodevice infrastructure, reminds me of the voxware
> infrastructure for soundcards that we also borrowed from Linux.

Reminds me that we still have no volunteer to port the V4L api
to BSD. That would be cool. Anyone?

> Also it seems as if this suite uses the i2c bus, which I heard
> rumors is now also supported by FreeBSD (though couldn't find
> respective sources in the 4.2 RELEASE kernel.) This stuff looks

Well, it's in use for ages now, at least in Rogers bktr driver.
Beginning with a private solution, then switched over to a generic
driver: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/iicbus/

Roger told me something about new Hauppauge cards with a cheap
mpeg chip on it, which can do realtime encoding/decoding as well.
So we need some abstract API for these cards and it would be cool,
if we could stay compatible with Linux' API's.

And after seeing /dev/bktr doing so well but almost no applications,
we really should find some people interested in a V4L port. There
are tons of multimedia applications for Linux using it...

--
Tom