Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:54:16 -0500
From:      brianc@netrover.com (Brian Campbell)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: scsi spindown

J Wunsch writes:
> As Michael Smith wrote:
> > > Has anyone modified FreeBSD-anything to spindown scsi (direct) drives
> > > after some period of non-use?
>
> > A lot of disks will refuse to spin down.
>
> So you won't get this feature for these old suckers, what's the deal?

I'm not sure how it's relevant.  Those who have disks that don't
spindown won't use the feature.  It works with mine (under win95 and qnx
and now freebsd).

> >  Better to configure your disks
> > to spin themselves down using scsi(8) if they support it.
>
> Where should this be supported?  IDE drives do sometimes support this
> (though the standard is very very funky for this), but SCSI?  I've
> never stumpled across a mode page setting that allows for an auto
> spindown.

My jaz drive has an auto-spindown.  I don't know which page it's in
though.  Looking at scsi_modes and the scsi man pages I didn't see
anything that looked like what I needed.

The fault I had was caused by softclock calling a timeout routine that
called scsi_stop_unit that called scsi_scsi_cmd which calls tsleep.  By
including the SCSI_ITSDONE bit in the flags it doesn't fault and spins
down/up as necessary (although I increased the timeout in
scsi_start_unit by 50%)

However, I get some messages I'd like to get rid of.  On spindown (the
first line is my printf):

	spindown 0.0
	sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
	SEQADDR == 0xd
	Ordered Tag queued

And on spinup (again the first line is my printf):

	spinup 0.0
	Ordered Tag sent
	sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
	SEQADDR == 0xd
	Ordered Tag queued
	Ordered Tag sent

Is there a flag I can set to disable these messages?