Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:51:09 -0800
From:      Noah Miller <nimiller@students.wisc.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange errors in Installation

Hi -
	I'm having some problems with the v2.1.0 installation.  Here's my
situation:

	I have:
	a Packard Bell 90mhz Pentium w/
	PCI buses
	a 528M IDE hard drive
	a Matsushita Double Speed Drive
	a Cirrus Logic SVGA card w 1mb vram
	8Mb ram
	a 14.4kbps Zoom Fax/modem
	and a bunch of other stuff that is probably not important

I'm trying to do an Internet installation, but there are problems with
the hard drive.
	I initially tried to install with a 170 mb partition divided up
as follows:

	80mb for /usr
	16mb for swap
	74mb for /

and this configuration worked, but I discovered that I was just a few
Meg short for the installation that I wanted.  So, I went back to dos
and stole a little space and repartitioned the hard drive again with a
freeware partition program ("Partition Resizer" by John Lagonikas).
Then, when I tried to install again, this time with 174Mb, I divided up
the file systems as follows:

	106Mb for /
	60Mb for /usr
	8Mb for swap

However, when I try to write this partition configuration to disk, I get
the following messages:

	*WARNING!  Unable to swap to /dev/wd0s2b:  Device not configured.
	*This may cause the installation to fail atsome point if you
	*don't have a lot of memory.

Then, it tries to make a root file system in /dev/rwd0a, with this error
message:

	*Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/rwd0a!
	*Command returned status 1

I tried to reboot with the "-c" option, and remove all unnecessary
drivers, but I still got those error messages.  Of course, I may have
screwed that up, too.
	I would really appreciate any help.

					Thanks Much,
					Noah Miller