Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:05:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      echelon <e_chelon@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Release 4.3 stable: PPPoE/ PPP problem

Hi,

Before I describe my problem, I'd like to thanks all
FreeBSD developers for releasing 4.3 stable.

I've been using FreeBSD since 4.0 release. I use it
mainly as an internet gateway (PPP in PPPoE mode + PPP
NAT + IPfilter) for my home network.

I CVSed my 4.3 beta to 4.3 stable on Monday. As usual,
buildworld and buildkernel went smoothly without
errors except some warnings from gcc.

After installkernel, installworld and finally
mergemaster, the system is up and running well. I can
ssh to it, ipfilter works as it used to be. However,
my box just couldn't connect to my ISP via PPPoE after
upgrading to 4.3 stable.

The ppp.log just shows "carrier hang up". It shouldn't
be the problem of my configuration as I have used the
same setting for months and gone through a number of
CVS update cycle. I am quite certain that I have setup
netgraph (at kernel conf file) / ppp.conf properly
since FreeBSD 4.2.

My network card is 3Com 3C905B. xl and miibus have no
compilation errors. Are there any new configurations I
need to set up in 4.3 stable before I can use PPP?

Thanks a lot.

-e_chelon