Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:57:19 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared memory - Was: 2 Queries

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:41:43PM -0500, Christopher Masto wrote:

> In any case, one major offender is imlib.  Since I've recently gone
> Gnome, I've had to turn off imlib's "MIT-SHM shared memory" option
> or things would go bad after a few minutes or hours of use.

Can you expand a bit on "go bad"?  I have a couple of machines here
running with GNOME for days on end with no shared memory problems.

The only thing I've tweaked is to add the following options
into my kernel config:

	options	SHMMAX="(64*1024*1024)"
	options SHMMNI=4096
	options SHMSEG=256

these were taken from a Solaris/sparc person running GNOME who had
made equivalent changes to his /etc/system to get rid of lots of
annoying shared-memory warnings in .xsession-errors

I'm not seeing any leaks, though:

viper 17% uptime
 3:53PM  up 5 days, 34 mins, 19 users, load averages: 2.81, 2.85, 2.84
(take off a couple of minutes for boot up, launching xdm, logging
 in and launching GNOME)

viper 18% ipcs -bp
Message Queues:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP QBYTES LSPID LRPID

Shared Memory:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP  SEGSZ  CPID  LPID
m  65536    2622055 --rw-r--r--     root    wheel 1048576    298    298
m 41615362     792064 --rw-rw-rw-      ade    staff      4  12549  12549

Semaphores:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP NSEMS
s  65536    2622057 --rw-rw-rw-     root    wheel     14

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.