Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:36:49 -0600
From:      Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rumen Telbizov <telbizov@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: LSI SAS2008 performance with mps(4) driver

Thanks; It's good to know that it's at least possible to make this work =
in some instances.

Unfortunately, our SAS2008 controller is integrated with the logic board =
(a SuperMicro X8DT6) connected to a SAS-113TQ backplane. It's not so =
much of an expander; there are two breakout cables that go from the =
SFF8087 connectors to individual SATA connectors for each drive on the =
backplane. I've spoken with LSI, and (unsurprisingly) they are unable to =
provide firmware for chips which are integrated in 3rd party devices. =
SuperMicro also doesn't have any particularly recent updates - the =
newest I could find was from last August.

If this is indeed an issue with the onboard SAS2008 hardware/firmware, =
I'm probably going to have to spring for a separate controller card in =
the short term. :/

	- .Dustin

On Mar 10, 2011, at 10:09 PM, Rumen Telbizov wrote:

> Hello Dustin,
>=20
> I've been testing this SAS2008 LSI chip (on a LSI 9211-8i) for the =
last month or so and I can say
> that it makes a pretty good HBA but there are indeed a few caveats you =
might need to be aware of.
> In support of that - tonight I finished a FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE machine =
with 2 x 24 disk chassis (each with
> a 3Gbit expander) =3D 48 x 2TB SATA RE4-GP disks in 6 x 8disk raidz2 =
and I am able to squeeze out 900MB/s
> write and 1200 MB/s read in a sequential (single dd) manner. The limit =
here is the backplane speed.
>=20
> So back to your problem:
>=20
> 1) What kind of backplane are you using: please specify the exact =
model. Is it a SAS expander or direct attached?
> 3Gbit/s or 6Gbit/s?
> 2) What kind of disk controller exactly are you using? More =
importantly what kind of firmware does it have?
>=20
> Those two are very important. In my case it turned out that if I was =
connecting SAS2008 chips
> to pretty much every kind of SuperMicro SAS expander backplanes (tried =
against 826EL26, 836E1, 846E1) I was
> getting around 200-300MB/s read/write speeds (FreeBSD and Linux). =
Direct attached backplanes (826A) worked fine.
> At the end it turned out that it was some sort of a problem with the =
LSI firmware (version 8.00 in my case) and I was given
> to try version 9.00 (soon to be released) which completely solved the =
problem. Contact LSI support (very high quality) if you want to try this =
firmware.
>=20
> I can't seem to get any better performance than about 250MB/s writes =
through the controller. I'm testing with a zpool of six 250MB magnetic =
SATA disks, doing a couple of concurrent sequential writes with dd:
>=20
> dd bs=3D128k if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/datadisk/zero1 &
> dd bs=3D128k if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/datadisk/zero2 &
>=20
>=20
> 3) What kind of zpool raid level do you have those disks organized in?
> 4) Running two parallel dd's on the same pool will actually turn the =
game into no-so-sequential type and more of a random access.
> Please try the following and paste results here:
> 4.1) dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/datadisk/zero1 bs=3D1M count=3D50000 =
(only one dd and use a file size larger than your memory)
> 4.2) Destroy the zpool (if you have no useful data on it of course) =
and try dd against each and every disk individually.
> So something like:
> dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/da0 bs=3D1M count=3D50000
> dd if=3D/dev/da0 of=3D/dev/null bs=3D1M count=3D50000
> monitor throughput with gstat -f da0 or I can send you a simple C =
program that I wrote which resembles dd but=20
> prints stats every second.
> =20
> On a related note I also experienced very slow read speeds (200MB/s) =
with the above mentioned configuration and after enabling
> prefetch (I used to set it to disabled as per Jeremy Chadwick's =
advise) everything went back to normal - so keep it in mind.=20