Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Stein <joes@seaport.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting 'getty' from /etc/rc

Aside from breaking the UNIX paradigm, where init runs /etc/rc and then after
a successful exit, starts the 'multiuser' mode by running getty (or more
specifically, the program listed in /etc/ttys), what are the pro's/con's
of starting getty explicitly from /etc/rc, for example from /etc/start_if.tun0?

I have been unsuccessful hacking ppp to handle a dialback connection, but need
my connection to be up automatically when the system resets (which only happens
when I tell it to :).

For more information, here's the "handshake" procedure:

	o I dial up my ISP with 'ppp'
	o Me/ISP handshake with PAP
	o ISP drops connection
	o ISP calls back
	o Networking starts (no further authentication)

Currently, I have to wait till the system is up, then I use some form of
ppp to do the initial authentication; when the remote calls back, it drops
straight into 'ppp -direct', which works, but ... I want it to be more
automatic, and start at the time /etc/start_if.tun0 is called.

Any help, ideas, suggestions, or pointers to code to modify in src/usr/sbin/ppp?

Joe
joes@seaport.net