Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 13:11:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mr D Whitehead <davew@sees.bangor.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation a suggestion

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Mr D Whitehead wrote:

> 	Just a thought. As there seem to be quite a lot of people
> who have installation/update problems from either tape or dos partitions
> how about adding the following to both the ftp servers and the CD.
> 1) A Dos (shudder) batch file to check the subdirectory structure on a
>    dos partition from which FreeBSD will be installed.  Not difficult,
>    just a large collection of 'if exist ...'.

That would be nice.  I think someone did something similar but I have no
record of it.  Oh, now you've got me started....:-)  I think I'll start
work on this right away!

Or, a batch file to copy over the distribution(s) from a DOS partition.
Just give the distributions you want over the command line....

> 2) A *nix script to ftp the distribution to a tape in the right order
>    and form.  This should be written very generally so that it could
>    be run on non-FreeBSD machines.

Tape is used so rarely, but this would be nice too.  (if you have a unix
box connected to the net, why bother with tape? set it up as an anonmyous
ftp site pattered after ftp.freebsd.org and do an ftp install on the
target machine!)

> 	Some small assistance as outined above may well pay rewards well
> in excess of the effort needed to create the scripts.  Unfortunatly to
> perform optimally the scripts would have to be adjusted for each release
> and would therefore have to be prepared by the kind, generous, hardworking
> people at the heart of things.

If developed properly, it shouldn't be needed.  The distributions haven't
changed since 2.0.5 and aren't likely to in the near future, so just do
wildcard/xcopy copies and you should plug near everything.

I have some neat ideas for this, but it'd require 4dos/ndos....