Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 23:33:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      steve <syoung@idirect.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD hardware Users <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Heat sinks and coolers: grease or pad?

At 03:40 PM 1/29/98 +1030, you wrote:
>I recently bought an AMD K6/233, and I'm still looking for a cooler
>which will keep it cool enough.  Today I got a thing double the size
>of the last (well-dimensioned) one, and mounted it.  It look bovine
>rc564 3 minutes to overheat the processor.
>
>I'm wondering what to do next.  Both this cooler (which claims a
>thermal resistance of 0.8°C/W) and the previous one have a pad stuck
>on to the processor side, presumably in order to facilitate heat
>transfer.  What's the best way to use this?  Should I use thermal
>grease anyway?  Should I use it instead?  Any other bright ideas?
>
>Greg

Hi,

I have several amd k6-pr2/233 processors (all on dfi motherboards, 586ipvg);
no heat problems with a (regular) heat sink and cooling fan - you can touch
the edges of the cpu, it's just warm, not hot.

Note that these processors should be 3.2 volts, not 3.3;  I have more than
once had some other board pre-configured and 'set' with the voltage too
high.  The result is burned fingers.

Hope this helps,

steve