Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:53:27 -0500
From:      Shawn Leas <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stupid question (worked around)

Weird, when using tools under an existing install, I was
only allowed to create labels of 4e and 4b. When booting
from the floppy, I could prepare for a standard install
on partition 4 and create slices a and b respectively.

What's more, that was the ONLY way to get the (whichever stage)
loader to even find /boot/loader.

You know, I think the boot process is real nice, but needs
to be thoroughly documented. A Bootloader-Hacking-HOWTO
would be real nice.

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 11:00:50AM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Donald J . Maddox wrote:

> > > There's a neat file called /boot/boot.conf you stuff this into.  See 'man
> > > boot' or 'man btx' for info.
> >
> > Don't do that.  /boot/boot.conf is deprecated.  Use /boot/loader.rc
> > instead.  If it's a -current system, the mechanism has changed
> > considerably, and you should have /boot/loader.conf.local that
> > handles this type of thing.
>
> Stop changing the config filenames!  Even I'm getting confused, much less
> the rest of the world!

-- Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
   Day 2273 for the poor and the middle class.
   Day 2292 for the rich and the dead.
   649 days remaining in the Raw Deal.