Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:38:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        dmmiller@cvzoom.net (Donn Miller)
Cc:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE drives to avoid ? [was : Re: ATA problems (rehashed)]

It seems Donn Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Soren Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Anyhow, I would avoid old Quantum/Maxtor/WDC drives as many of their models
> > are know to have bugs in the DMA support. For brand new drives there are
> > still some Maxtor/WDC models that are flaky..
>
> What about Fujitsu drives?  I've had a very good experience with those.

Dont know them well for thier new stuff, the older ones was so noisy I
newer even considered them...

> These are the models I have (old):
>
> ad0: 3093MB <FUJITSU MPB3032ATU> [6704/15/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
> ad1: 1040MB <M1614TA> [2114/16/63] at ata0-slave using WDMA2
>
> ad0 is from 1998, and ad1 is from 1996.  Fujitsu's also seem much quieter
> than other ATA drives.

Hmm, I dont think you will find a more quiet drive that the new IBM DTLA
series, they are 7200RPM drives, but they are barely notiseable, they
even have a "quiet" mode one can switch it to making the head movement
noise reduce significantly, sacrificing some seek speed though...
Some of the newer tests on the net suggests that IBM and the newest
Maxtor are probably the most quiet drives available today...

-Søren