Date:      Wed, 3 May 1995 14:34:44 -0400
From:      "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com
Cc:        dyson@Root.COM, sos@FreeBSD.org, paul@isl.cf.ac.uk, terry@cs.weber.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NetBSD supports LBA and large (EIDE) drives

   > The problems that Hale has noted are entirely on the software end --
   > that there is little or no standardization about how the BIOS converts
   > beetween C/H/S addresses and LBAs.  This is only an issue when sharing
   > a disk with another OS, or when booting from it, and is analagous to
   > the standard geometry translation compatibility problems.

   You know, FreeBSD can exist on the same disk as other OS's.

That's a non-sequitur.  NetBSD certainly coexists with other OSes,
even on disks using LBA mode.

   > LBA mode is not `needed' for IDE drives smaller than 8GB.  However:
   And nobody has been insane enough to make a 8GB+ IDE drive yet.

Precisely because software vendors are being extraordinarily lame
about it.  Someone has to take the initiative, and it's *much* cheaper
for the software vendors.

   > 1) In practice, the differences between BIOS LBA implementations seem
   > to be less annoying than the differences between BIOS C/H/S
   > implementations.
   Well, you're in for a surprise then...

I sincerely doubt that.  I've been following this for years.