Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:01:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@freedom.cybertouch.org>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification...again

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> In no way was I referring to TekMetrics. I was referring to FreeBSD itself
> offering the certification and the course that would lead up to it (if you
> needed the background material). I still hope that the FreeBSD Project
> will seriously consider a REAL certification that is not easy to get,
> requires sufficient knowledge on running the system, complete networking
> (deep level of TCP/IP), mail for an organization...etc...
>
> This  could also lead to different levels of Certs. depending on what
> route you take.

Sure, I know you weren't.  But, that was just an example of how
certification can go horribly wrong.

Even disregarding Tekmetrics, there are so many different applications for
FreeBSD administration (are you admining a lab where students will be
using X, a mission critical server, or a small web site, or just a variety
of different servers at an ISP).  To accurately assure competency with
FreeBSD, there'd have to be an infinite number of tests.

However, I'd be willing to print up some certs at Kinkos for anyone who
can write a Hello World program that compiles under FreeBSD.  And hell,
I'll stand by the certs too and perhaps even create a snazzy logo for web
pages. :)

- alex

It appears you are making a joke of it. FreeBSD could come up with
programs for different areas of proficiency. Each with its own
certification. It may not go far right away, but down the road, as with
most good products, it would succeed.

Tell me, do you think certification from Cisco is useless as well?

As for what aspects of FreeBSD in terms of knowledge with what you said,
that's just it. Different types of certification for different areas of
knowledge. Someone who is into programming is different from one who is
into networking.

Lanny