Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:30:35 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Josh Hansen <lists@josh.aros.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions Mail List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: C compiler

On Oct 4, 2004, at 3:18 PM, Josh Hansen wrote:
[ ...5.2.1 being slower than Linux... ]
> I really don't think the problem is that simple.  How about either
> giving him a real answer or none at all?

Sigh.  The malloc debugging options in 5.2.1 really will slow down
userland programs which heavily utilize dynamic memory by a significant
amount, as will kernel options used for debugging such as WITNESS and
INVARIANTS.

It's not hard to measure these effects if you bother to try.  If you
want to test FreeBSD's performance in a meaningful fashion, and you are
unwilling to disable the debugging options enabled in 5.x, using 4.10
is good advice.  Or wait for 5.3 to finish the current beta testing
cycle and be released, and then test that.

--
-Chuck