Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 12:26:31 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Ulf Kister <Ulf.Kister@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB CompactFlash II adaptor

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 08:43:29PM +0200, Ulf Kister wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am considering buying a digital camera and since I am *not* willing
> to use Windows for transferring the photos onto my desktop I would
> like to know if there are any recommendations about the storage system
> to use (keeping in mind that it should cooperate with my FreeBSD
> 4.6-STABLE).
>
> I dug into google and found some scary information about fried IBM
> microdrive devices; also it seems that some CFII card work and others
> don't...
>
> Since I do not have any experience with neither USB nor newer storage
> technologies and all that stuff is quite expensive I would be very
> grateful for helpful hints.
>
> BTW - My preferred Cameras would use CFII (or MicroDrive) or
> SmartMedia cards.
>
> thanx in advance,
>
> Ulf Kister

Ulf,

Most current digital cameras seem to present themselves as USB mass storage
devices, so you get a filesystem (FAT format, I think) that you can just
mount somewhere and copy the pictures off.  USB CF/SmartMedia adapters
typically work the same way, FreeBSD already has all the drivers to support
these devices.  For older cameras with their own protocols, the gphoto2
port should be able to handle most of them.

I know there have been some problems with some USB mass storage devices in
the past...I'm not entirely sure what the current state of the driver is,
so it probably pays to ask about specific devices on here and see if other
have had success or failure with them.

	Scott