Date:               Thu, 28 Dec 1995 11:20:57 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:         Re: "To parity, or not to parity; that is the question..."

Thus spake Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com> (Thu, 28 Dec 1995):

|  But I don't know what kind of memory I need to get.

Check the number of chips, almost certainly there will be 1 per bit -- ie,
8: no parity, 9: parity.  I may be wrong -- I often am.  Or call your
favorite RAM vendor and see what they suggest.

Certainly this approach worked for 30pin SIMMs when they were the rage
(until the 2 and 3-chip came along).  I use non-parity now with good
results.

|  Unfortunately, since my computer is pretty much "home brew", I can't
|  exactly call up tech support and say "hey!  Do I need parity chips for a
|  <Brand X> 486 computer?"

Not unless the good book (manual) insists on it.

|  People have said "check your BIOS setup program, if it has any settings
|  that mention anything parity-related, then you probably need it."  I did
|  this, but alas, none of the configurable stuff had anythig even remotely
|  to do with parity.  Nor did any of the jumper settings on the motherboard
|  do with this either.  Nor did the manual mention anything about parity.
|  When mentioning how to add memory, it basically said "Buy them SIMM
|  things and stick'um in them thar little slots."

And Sean Kelly thinks people from Dallas talk funny     8).

|  What I CAN tell you is that my motherboard uses AMI WinBIOS, circa 1993.
|  WinBIOS is the one with the cutesy BIOS setup program that has a GUI that
|  looks like Windows.  The motherboard is ISA+VLB, and supports 486 and
|  486-Overdrive chips (i.e. it has a socket with more pins on it than a
|  normal 486 chip).  The chipset on the motherboard is OPTi (OPTi895?
|  can't be sure until next I reboot).
|
|  I have 2 4MB SIMM sticks in there now, for a total of 8 MB.  I remember
|  when I bought them that they EACH ran slightly less than $200 (around
|  $198 or something) including CA sales tax (7.75%).  (this was last
|  year) Neither the receipt nor the memory chips themselves say whether
|  they're parity or not, and the store doesn't have any idea either.
|
|  My guess is that my system can take either parity or non-parity, since
|  most of the "clones" are pretty non-partial about it, and some don't even
|  check for parity errors.

Just don't mix them.

|  I apologize for asking this here, I quite simply had nowhere else to turn.
|  If you take offense, feel free to flame me in private.

Sorry, I can't spell the sound of a match being struck phonetically (or
any other way).