Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 19:14:12 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        didier@omnix.fr.org
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 didier@omnix.fr.org wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 17:54:11 -0600 (MDT)
> > From: Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
> > To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
> > Cc: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, didier@omnix.fr.org,
> >     hackers@freebsd.org
> > Subject: Re: JDK 1.02
> >

> > And given Sun's recent 'attitude' regarding Java, there is *very* little
> > chance of one happening.  Sun is getting very propriatary (sp?) about
> > Java, and the Linux developers were forced to remove their port of the
> > JDK from ftp sites after being 'contacted' by Sun's lawyers.
> >

> I dont like sun's attitude but I think that's impossible to ignore java.
> there are probably many possibilities but I'm not sure of the right one
>
> there are several questions
>
>  - is kaffe able to totally replace the native java ?
>    (I heard many horrible about kaffe)

Not yet. It also lacks many features (graphics support)

>  - is it possible to write a x86 solaris emulator for FreeBSD ?

Yes (the trouble is writing it). It would be nice even if not for Java.
The other possibility is win32 emulator :-)

>  - are there any possibilities to only distributes the patch to the original
>    source file for java (with no line of the original sdk file in the diffs)

Not an easy one - everyone will have to fetch the source and get a source
licence. And - the patch files diff generates actually do include lines
of the original text of the files...

	Sander