Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 19:52:04 -0600
From:      dkelly@iquest.com (David Kelly)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        jwb@ulysses.att.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Boot Manager woes

jwb@ulysses.att.com wrote:

>I've been trying to get a boot manager to work on my machine
>that would allow me to boot FreeBSD without having to type
>hd(1,a)/kernel at the boot prompt and have yet to be able to
>do it.
>
>The setup I have is a Gateway 486 with an internal ide drive(C) and
>2 external scsi's on Adaptec 1542cp with bios boot on. I have FreeBSD
>on the first of the two scsi's  When I loaded 2.1.0R, it deactivated
>the partitions on the ide, but didn't install the boot manager.
>
>When I loaded booteasy17, it load ok on the ide and scsi, but didn't
>seem to recognize the scsi in the ide bootmanager.  That is there
>was nothing shown for FreeBSD on the scsi or the scsi.  (but when I hit F5
>it did switch to the scsi boot manager, but wouldn't boot.)

I have similar disk setup but with an Adaptec 2940 but I don't get an F5
offering from the BootEasy boot manager. One IDE drive, (2) SCSI drives,
FreeBSD's root is on SCSI ID 0. Would the -stable release fix this? I read
there are lots of 2940-related changes.

As for jwb@ulysses.att.com's problem I'd guess he needs to recompile his
kernel with it pointing to the proper root partition?

How would one recompile the boot manager to correctly boot the first SCSI?
And then re-install it?

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
                - Thomas Edison