Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:20:58 -0400
From:      Otter <otter@otter.cc>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SBlive driver

Doug Barton wrote:

> Cameron Grant wrote:
> >
> > cg          2000/04/01 23:41:21 PST
> >
> >   Added files:
> >     sys/dev/sound/pci    emu10k1.c emu10k1.h
> >   Log:
> >   unfinished sblive driver, playback/mixer only for now - not enabled in
> >   conf/files
> >
> >   i don't seem to be clearing the cache right resulting in a short initial
> >   burst of noise, despite doing the same as creative and alsa.  i'm committing
> >   now so more eyes can pore over the code.
>
>         I finally got around to testing this, and it's causing my machine to
> reboot. I cvsup'ed the latest -current sources, made world, built and
> installed a new kernel after adding 'device pcm', and rebooted. The card
> was detected during boot, and after making snd0, 'cat /dev/sndstat'
> reports:
>
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Apr  9 2000 18:53:41
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xb800 irq 5 (1p/0r channels duplex)
>
>         I use xfce as my WM, and when I enabled xfsound (which uses esound to
> play its sounds) my machine immediately locked up,

Maybe you should try another audio app. I made world again last night
(April 9,2000)and use XMMS and mpg_123 for my use (listening to
shoutcast servers and local files). XMMS plays without a hitch. I
don't do any recording, so that's not an issue. Mpg123 works just as
well, but it's for use on the command line. Both can be found in your
ports collection.
-Otter

 then after a few